Call Us: 303-494-1375
Free Shipping* - Learn More
Questions? Email Us
The Iliamna region of Alaska is home to the largest, most aggressive rainbows in North America: the famous and incredibly beautiful Iliamna "Leopard Bows." Located in the very heart of this region is a small, intimate operation by the name of Intricate Bay Lodge. With a great team of guides, a staff obsessed with great customer service, and access to a number of world-class area fisheries, we consider Intricate Bay to be a great small-lodge operation. Most of the fishing out of Intricate Bay Lodge is done on the upper and lower sections of the Copper and the nearby Gibraltar River, and the rainbow trout that call this area home are some of the largest trout found anywhere in the world. Fly-outs are included in most weekly lodge packages.
Standard package is a six night/six fishing day package (Sunday to Saturday) although packages of other lengths can be arranged.
Intricate Bay Lodge is very different from the larger, commercial fishing lodges in the area in that it is a very small, personable operation. A visit to the lodge feels as much like a stay at a good friends log cabin retreat as it does a week at a professional fishing operation. Because Intricate Bay Lodge is so small and personable, you will enjoy an unrivaled standard of personal service and attention throughout the duration of your trip.
All the amenities you'd expect in a fine hotel or lodge are here - 24-hour electricity, Wi-Fi, heat, hot water and daily housekeeping service. The lodge features spacious bedrooms with private baths, and a large common room and living room area perfect for relaxing and enjoying a magnificent view of the sun setting over Lake Iliamna
In the small dining room area you will enjoy delicious meals prepare by a full time, professional chef. If you have any special requests or dietary needs, just let us know before your arrival and we will be sure to make the proper arrangements.
Most of the fishing out of Intricate Bay Lodge is done on the lodge's "home waters" - the Upper and Lower sections of the Copper River, and the Gibraltar River. With the use of the lodge's Cessna 206 float plane, you can also access rivers that include the New Halen, Talarik, Kvichak, Nushagak, Mulchatna, Moraine, Funnel, Battle, American, Kamishak, Amakadori, and the "Cone." During the trophy trout fishing seasons (late spring and fall) guests come from around the globe to fish for trophy native rainbows in an unspoiled setting. During the summer and throughout the fall, the salmon provide a tremendous food source for these trophy fish, and the fishing can be truly outstanding.
• JUNE – Early season conditions can vary at this time depending on the “size” of the previous winter. A big snow pack produces high water, while a light snow pack means low, clear conditions. Either way, this is a great time to target rainbows in the Iliamna region. Coming out of their winter dormancy and spawning period, the rainbows are awake and on the feed.
• JULY – Need fireworks in July? Try Alaska. Imagine 7 million red roman candles filling a river. That’s the sockeye run in this specific area. One bit of advice: Don't forget that the chase is on for big beautiful rainbows throughout the Bristol Bay drainage. The lodge practices catch-and-release for all rainbows, but sockeyes are fair game for the frying pan.
• AUGUST – The month when the rainbow feeding frenzy begins! The sockeye are beginning to spawn, leaving a scent in the water that ignites the voracious appetite of the rainbow trout. As the spawning continues throughout the month, more and more food is in the river. The big rainbows from Lake Iliamna will continue to stack up in area rivers, offering anglers the best chance of the year for a true trophy. This is also silver salmon time, with the run beginning in early August and finishing in September.
• SEPTEMBER – Probably the best month in all of Alaska to really go after trophy trout. While the weather can at times be challenging, this is when the largest numbers of big lake rainbows come in to area rivers. The fish have been feeding throughout the summer months, and they know this is their last chance to pack on weight for the long winter ahead. The rainbows are still extremely aggressive on salmon eggs and will chase a flesh fly with reckless abandon. The fish know that winter is near, and they will not hesitate to gorge themselves on anything that passes in front of them.
Fishing on most of the area rivers is done via rafts or aluminum boats equipped with Yamaha jet motors. A Cessna 206 floatplane is used to transport guests for fly-out options as well as transferring guests from Iliamna, Alaska. It is recommended that anglers bring all of their own gear and equipment, including rods, reels, wading boots, flies and all terminal tackle.
** Alaska is now enforcing a ban on felt-soled wading boots to help prevent the spread of potential waterborne parasites and diseases. Please keep this in mind while planning for your trip.
For non-anglers, the lodge offers a handful of other activities including scenic flights, wildlife viewing, and boat tours. While this is a world-renowned destination for fishing Alaska, the lodge also offers one of the best areas to view brown bear, moose and caribou in Alaska. Enjoy an eco-tour that includes brown bear viewing at the legendary Brooks Falls, an eco-tour of Katmai National Park, Lake Clark National Park, or the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes where a volcanic eruption in 1907 left a blanket of ash over 700 feet deep. You may choose to spend an afternoon in solitude kayaking a glacier lake, Intricate Bay or West Cook Inlet. Explore Lake Iliamna, larger than the state of Rhode Island and covering over 1,000 square miles.
Many major airlines serve Anchorage, Alaska from the lower-48. From Anchorage you will connect to Iliamna, Alaska. There are multiple connections from Anchorage daily.
Yellow Dog suggests overnighting in Anchorage on the night before your trip begins, and flying to Iliamna early the next morning. There area numerous air services that can get you from Anchorage to Iliamna, including Alaska Airlines, Era Air, Pen-Air, Lake Clark Air, and Lake Iliamna Air Taxi. Yellow Dog will be happy to assist with these in-state transfers and arrangements. Upon arrival in Iliamna, you will be met by a representative from the lodge and transferred across Lake Iliamna to the lodge.
All rates are per person, and a trip of any length of stay can be arranged. There are significant group discounts for a group of (4) four or more. Please contact Yellow Dog for details.
|Length of Stay||
|7 Nights / 7 Fishing Days||2-4||$7,495|
|7 Nights / 6 Fishing Days||2-8||$3,995|
|6 Nights / 6 Fishing Days||2-8||$6,495|
|5 Nights / 4 Fishing Days||2-8||$5,495|
|4 Nights / 3 Fishing Days||2-8||$3,995|
|Sockeye Salmon Package|
|Guest Discretion||2-8||$750 per day|
Executive Lodge Package (Fly-Out Package)
This is 7 nights and 7 full fishing days. With this package, guests arrive at 8:00 AM Sunday and depart 8:00 AM the following Sunday. Maximum of four guests per week will be sold the Executive Package, which will grant access to the lodge plane everyday to pursue the desired species of fish and their choice of rivers.
Land Package (Non-Fly-Out Packages)
The package includes all meals, lodging, flies, transportation between Lake Iliamna and the Lodge, and six (6) fully guided days of unlimited jet-boat fishing from Intricate Bay Lodge (weather permitting) on the local rivers and lakes. Fly-outs can be arranged at the lodge for an additional charge, if desired.
Sockeye Salmon Package (Non-Fly-Out Packages)
For those fisherman who like to go by the principles of “catch and keep”. Land package no minimum or maximum length of stay. Guest will leave with fresh, frozen, vacuum sealed salmon in airplane approved storage.
* Remember that Yellow Dog's services are completely free! When you book a trip with Yellow Dog, you never pay more than when you book directly with the lodge or outfitter.
Yellow Dog has a full in-house travel and reservations system, and can assist with airline tickets, hotels, transfers, and all travel logistics for every destination that we offer. Contact us at 888-777-5060 or email@example.com for more details on airfare ticketing, travel services and trip insurance.
The guides at the lodge all have extensive experience with fly fishermen of all ages and ability levels. Whether you are a novice angler or a seasoned veteran, they are qualified and ready to help.
ALCOHOL AND LIQUOR AT THE LODGE:
Please inquire how we can assist you in purchasing and shipping your beer, wine, and liquor to the lodge, as Iliamna Alaska is a “Dry” village.