Call Us: 303-494-1375
Free Shipping* - Learn More
Questions? Email Us
Rather than working with one single outfitter out of Bozeman, we’ve organized a team of the area’s finest guides, outfitters, and lodging options – a network that ensures that you’ll be matched with the best guide, on the best waters, at exactly the right time of year. Simply put, when you book your Southwest Montana trip through Yellow Dog, you can rest assured that you’ll be fishing with the top professionals in the business. We have partnered with a network of the finest guides in Montana, and we'll ensure that you're fishing with the very best guide on the very best piece of water at exactly the right time of year.
Each package is completely customized. Trips of any length can be arranged - from single day trips to week-long, multi-river packages.
For the sampler trip accommodations can vary from four-star lodge accommodations to clean, inexpensive hotel rooms. It is entirely up to the discretion of the anglers. There are dozens of lodging options throughout the Bozeman area and the surrounding region. Please feel free to contact us here at Yellow Dog and we will be happy to make suggestions or help in any way with recommendations and logistics. In Bozeman itself, we recommend hotel options that include the Wingate Inn, the Hilton Garden Inn, the C’Mon Inn, and the Magnuson Grand Hotel. The closest fishing-focused lodge to Bozeman is the Gallatin River Lodge, located approximately 15 minutes out of town.
All meals (with the exception of you daily lunch on the river) in Bozeman for the Montana sampler and day trip packages are on your own! The number of restaurants and dining options in Bozeman and throughout the surrounding area is impressive! With regards to your fishing day, the guides always have fully stocked coolers, plenty of food, and all non-alcoholic beverages. Some of our favorite restaurants in the Bozeman area for dinner include The Mint, John Bozeman’s Bistro, Montana Aleworks, Ted’s Montana Grill, and Chico Hot Springs Restaurant.
Some of the waters that can be included in the “Montana Sampler Package” include the Madison, Yellowstone, Missouri, Beaverhead, Big Hole, Gallatin, Jefferson, Paradise Valley Spring Creeks, Big Horn, Stillwater, Boulder, and a variety of private water, smaller streams, and backcountry creeks. For those interested in stillwater fishing, we also offer a variety of options on high alpine lakes and area reservoirs.
• March – May: Springtime is probably the best-kept secret in Montana. All the rivers are fishing well and are generally low and clear. Spring run-off usually doesn’t begin until late May or early June, and you can expect a lot of streamer and nymph fishing with possibilities for early caddis and mayfly hatches. This is a great time to experience Montana as things begin to “green up.” You can expect some aggressive feeding from the fish.
• June: This can be a transition month in Montana. While some years high water might be a problem, June can still offer some tremendous fishing. In anticipation of the salmon fly hatch this is a good time to fish a lot of stonefly nymphs for big browns.
• July – August: Lots of fun and sun. Late June and early July brings out the Salmon flies on the Madison and the Big Hole. July offers a lot of great caddis fishing and in August its time to start thinking big dry flies! The hopper fishing is tremendous and this is the time to fish big attractor patterns.
• September: This is the local’s favorite time of year, and the fall in Montana is beautiful. You can still fish hoppers and big attractor patterns, and the fish are beginning to turn on to big, gnarly streamer patterns. You can expect temperatures to be in the 70’s and the rivers are low and clear.
• October – November: If you like fishing streamers, you can expect a lot of action from aggressive fish during the fall months. The weather can be somewhat unpredictable, but the fish don’t seem to care. This is also a great time to do cast-and-blast combos.
** All Southwest Montana guided trips arranged through Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures, LLC are operated under a number of different Montana Outfitting Licenses, each number based on the outfitter handling and physically guiding each trip. Please contact Yellow Dog for a full list of guides and outfitters that we work with.
Float fishing is done via McKenzie-style drift boats and rafts designed for fly fishing. Yellow Dog can provide rods and reels if required. Please contact us for more details.
For non-anglers, the state of Montana offers many outdoor recreational activities including trips to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, horseback riding, hiking, sight seeing, whitewater raft trips, mountain biking, kayaking, and much more. Following is a list of are attractions and things to do:
Alder Gulch - Site of one of the largest gold rush in the United States.
Lewis & Clark - The two famous pioneers of the American frontier traveled throughout this country, and especially along the Big Hole, Beaverhead, Ruby and Jefferson rivers.
Butte Copper Mine - Home to one of the largest defunct copper mines ever to exist in the United States; visitors can also visit dozens of family owned shops, museums, and stores.
Virginia City & Nevada City - Two old west gold-rush cities turned ghost towns during the Alder gold rush. During the summer months, guests can enjoy plenty of activities, stores, playhouses, and more.
The Big Hole Battlefield - Home of the Nez Perce War where, in 1877, a bloody five month conflict erupted between the federal United States and the Native Americans of the region.
Yellowstone National Park
Experience this world famous park; a short drive from Bozeman.
The predetermined fishing itinerary will dictate your arrival city in Montana.
If flying, guests will be met at the airport and transferred to their lodging or river of choice. If driving to Montana, guests will be met at pre-determined lodging for the fishing days ahead. This is a completely customized trip, so there is no set arrival city. Most trips, however, will originate in Livingston, Bozeman, West Yellowstone, or Missoula, Montana.
All rates are for 1 or 2 persons. A trip of any length of stay can be arranged. Please call Yellow Dog for details.
Full Day Float or Walk/Wade --------------------------------- $475 to $525 (depending on the river and outfitter)
Trips are available for all budgets – from deluxe to economy. There are also special group and seasonal rates available. Please call Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures, LLC at (888) 777-5060 for details.
* Remember that Yellow Dog's services are completely free! When you book a trip with Yellow Dog, you never pay more than when you book directly with the lodge or outfitter.
Yellow Dog has a full in-house travel and reservations system, and can assist with airline tickets, hotels, transfers, and all travel logistics for every destination that we offer. Contact us at 888-777-5060 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on airfare ticketing, travel services and trip insurance.
** All Montana guided trips arranged through Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures, LLC are operated under a number of different Montana Outfitting Licenses, each number based on the specific outfitter handling and physically guiding each trip. Please contact Yellow Dog for a full list of guides and outfitters that we work with.