Every New Full Week International Adventure Travel Trip Booked will receive 50ct. hand select flies for your destination $325.00+ value!
* Does not apply to any trip being rescheduled due to Covid-19 cancellations * New Trips Booked ONLY * Not valid with other discounts or promotions *
Perched above the Rio Grande River and just a short boat ride from the Caribbean Sea, Copal Tree Lodge is a fly fisher’s paradise. Cast for tarpon and snook on the river and in the mangroves, fish the flats for permit, or when the weather permits, head out to the white sand beaches of the Sapodilla Cayes for bonefish. The majority of the fishing takes place in protected marine reserves and national parks. Copal Tree is an inimitable jungle lodge, offers the best in local food and culture, active adventure, wildlife viewing, saltwater fly-fishing, and warm Belizean hospitality.
Contact Front Range Anglers Adventure Travel Manager Lisa McLaughlin for additional information and to BOOK!
When you BOOK with FRA Adventure Travel you never pay more for our services as we work for YOU and the Lodge!
Belize Reopening Plan
Belize is OPEN – only Gold Standard Lodges are OPEN
- All visitors to Belize must download the Belize Health App and complete required information within 72 hours of your flight to Belize. You can download the app Here.
- Useful tip: After completing the forms in the Health App, screenshot your unique ID and QR code to show the Health Officer upon arrival.
- Prior to arrival, Tourists must:
- Book a stay at a Gold Standard hotel and present confirmation on arrival at Philip SW Goldson International Airport.
- Take a PCR Test within 96 hours of Travel. A negative result will provide a ‘fast track’ arrival process.
- Rapid Antigen, Sophia, SD Biosensor, ABBOT (Panbio) test results will also be accepted, taken no more than 48 hours prior to travel.
- Please note that even with a negative test result in hand, you can be selected for random secondary testing during your health screening.
- Upon arrival at Philip SW Goldson International Airport, visitors will proceed to health screen. (thermal imaging temperature check, disinfect shoes, verify information on Belize Health App, COVID Test if not provided in advance, etc.).
- If no PCR test presented, you will be required to take a COVID test at airport for $50 per passenger at passenger’s own expense. Testing will be done on a “swab and go” basis for tourists that are staying at Gold Standard hotels. Only positive cases will receive notification from Ministry of Health within 24 hours.
- Note: Positive cases will be notified within 24 hours and required to quarantine at your Gold Standard hotel.
- Wear your mask, practice physical distancing protocols and get ready to enjoy your Belize experience.
- Tourists can move around freely but are highly encouraged to remain within the safe corridor and utilize Gold Standard restaurants, tour sites, gift shops, and certified transportation.
Additional Information can be found here.
The Species: Permit, bonefish, tarpon, snook, snapper, barracuda, and grouper.
DAILY SCHEDULE: Prior to your first day of fishing, your guide will meet with you before dinner in the main lodge to review your fishing adventure. He will discuss the time and location for departure, required gear, and the possibilities and expectations for the day. Each evening, you will be given a form to fill out requesting your choices on your morning wake up and in-room coffee service (optional), breakfast, lunch, and beverages.
RODS: Fly rods in the 6- to 8-weight range are the ideal size for Belize bonefish. The lighter rods (6 & 7) are great when there is little or no wind, and an 8-weight rod has more than enough muscle to deliver the fly. In addition, the 8-weight rod can double as a backup rod for the permit and light tarpon fishing. Many anglers prefer a larger rod, 9-10 weight, rigged up for the permit. A 10-weight rod is perfect for Central American Tarpon fishing.
REELS: Reels should be anodized, corrosion-resistant saltwater models that will hold a full fly line, plus approximately 200 yards of 30-pound or braided backing. Reels equipped with smooth, high-quality drag are essential to prevent break-offs from the blistering runs of hooked fish.
LINES: A weight-forward, saltwater floating line is ideal for most of the sight fishing you will encounter. There are times when an intermediate clear-sinking or sink-tip line is the answer for tarpon and snook fishing. Anglers should also bring along some sort of line cleaner for the lines since saltwater has a way of making lines sticky after a few days’ uses.
LEADERS: MONO OR FLUOROCARBON
Tarpon: Leaders with 16-20 lb class and 60-80 lb shock tippet.
Bonefish: Tapered Leaders 9”-12” long with 10-16 lb test.
Permit: Tapered Leaders 9’-12’ long with 10-18 lb test.
Toothy Critter Wire Leaders: 20 and 30 lb.
TIPPET: FLUOROCARBON WORKS BEST
Bonefish: 10-16 lb.
Tarpon: Cockroach 1/0 – 3/0; Red/White Tarpon1/0 – 3/0; Grizzly Orange Tarpon 1/0 – 3/0; Stu Apte Original 1/0 – 3/0; Whistlers 1/0 – 3/0; Black Death1/0 – 3/0
Barracuda: Cuda Fly (green; (double-hooked tandem wire) 3/0, Needle Fish (fluorescent green/yellow and white 3/0
Bonefish & Permit: Horror 6, 8; Chico’s Bonefish Special 6, 8; Raghead Crab – Tan and Olive 6,8; Gotcha 6; Crazy Charlie (tan and pink) 6, 8; Spawning Shrimp 6; Deep Water Gotcha 4; Bonefish Slider (tan and pink) 4; Matthew’s Turneffe Crab(green) 6; Mangrove Critter 4; McCrab 2, 4;Merkin (tan and olive) 4, 6; Bonefish Bitter (green) 6, 8; Bauer Crab (green and tan) 4; Palometta Crab(green and brown) 2, 4
Snook & Jack Crevalle: Grizzly Deceiver (green) 2/0,3/0; Clouser (red/white) 4, 1, 2/0; Big Popper (blue or yellow) 3/0; Gummy Minnow (pearl, blue) 2, 4
Room rates vary, depending on availability and guest preference. Room options are listed below, please contact FRA for a quote!
JUNGLE QUEEN SUITES Surrounded by beautiful views, our Jungle Queen Suites provide spacious rooms with two queen beds, tall ceilings, and full-length windows.
JUNGLE KING SUITES Nestled amid lush tropical foliage and designed by Jeffery Allan Marks, the Jungle King suites provide spacious rooms with California king beds, tall ceilings, and full-length windows. From freshly cut tropical flowers to locally made artisanal soap, we make sure that every detail is attended to.
RIDGE SUITES The four Ridge Suites offer stunning views from the Maya Mountains to the Caribbean Sea. Each 750-square-foot suite provides a California king bed, daybeds, private porch, outdoor soaking tubs, access to a 40-foot infinity pool, spacious decks and poolside drinks service on request.
INTERNET Wireless Internet service is complimentary and available in each suite, the common areas of the Main Lodge, Rum Bar & Lounge, and Jungle Farm Restaurant. Although it is generally reliable, the internet can be affected by adverse weather conditions.
ALL SUITES INCLUDE:
- Private veranda for lounging
- In-room sitting area
- Crisp bedding
- Spacious bathroom with private shower
- Private entrance
- Complimentary laundry service
- Ceiling fans
- Hair dryer
- In-room safe
- Small fridge (upon request)
Food and Beverages:
The Copal Tree team provides an extraordinary level of dining each day with a menu that highlights locally sourced ingredients and the flavor profile unique to Belize. The culinary experience starts each morning with a coffee or tea wake-up service (upon request) and continues through breakfast, lunch, daily afternoon snacks, and dinner. There are a standard breakfast and lunch menu; however, the chef creates a new dinner menu each night based on the availability of ingredients and fresh produce. The chef can cater to special dietary needs upon request and asks that guests provide FRA with this information prior to arrival so the kitchen can ensure having the required ingredients.
BAR the Rum Bar offers an extensive selection of farm-fresh cocktails, house and premium liquors, wine, beer, and liqueurs.
ACTIVITIES: There are several activities at Copal Tree outside of fishing. Non-angling guests have several activity options, including canoe/kayak the Rio Grande or a guided jungle tour, Onsite Hiking, mountain biking, take a tour of the onsite farm, bird watching, cooking classes, horseback riding, etc. Although most activities can be arranged upon arrival, we suggest you look at the activities schedule to arrange your activities in advance.
SPA: The spa offers a range of holistic treatments and services in a tranquil environment. Massages may be requested in advance of your arrival or booked any time during your stay, based on availability. You will need to book spa services at least 24 hours in advance.
SHOPPING: To meet guests’ needs, there is a small mercantile that offers souvenirs, sundries, handicrafts, Patagonia clothing, toiletries, fly-fishing flies and lines for anglers, and more.
- Room rates are per room, per night, based on double occupancy
- Roundtrip transfers between Main Lodge and Punta Gorda airstrip
- Full breakfast (including coffee, tea, and juices), daily snacks, and dinner
- Nightly turn-down service
- Personal laundry services
- Use of gym
- Complimentary activities (self-guided kayaking or canoeing, mountain biking, onsite hiking & farm tour).
Packages do not include:
- Mainland USA or international flights to Belize
- Beer and sodas at the Lodge
- Gratuities for the guides and staff
- Exit Fee of $40
- Trip insurance (optional but recommended)
- Global Rescue (optional but recommended)
- Belizean fishing license
- Any incidentals purchased at Copal Tree
At the time of booking 50% of the trip is due and payable. At 90 days the remainder plus all VAT and taxes are due. Cancellation greater than 90 days from the date of trip, all monies refunded less $100 fee if a replacement angler is found. Cancellation within 90 Days, no refunds are provided unless a qualified replacement angler is provided. No refunds are provided for trip cancellation due to Weather, Acts of God, Airline/Travel issues.
Trip Insurance is strongly advised & recommended!
Muy’Ono COVID-19 Reservations Policies:
SPECIAL COVID 19 POLICY – “Cancelations due to the COVID19 virus, i.e. airport closures, travel prohibitions, mandatory quarantines during travel dates, and qualifying health concerns, will be able to cancel 14 days prior to the start of reservation. 100% of the payment value, will be transferred to a rescheduled date within one calendar year. 95% of the payment value will be available as a refund. This special Covid 19 policy is valid for all NEW reservations booked through November 30, 2020.” This policy will be extended if needed. Let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or would like to get a trip on the books.
Belize International is a small airport, and it is easy to get through customs and transfer to your flight to Punta Gorda. You will take a breathtaking 1-hour flight down the coast of Belize with a couple of short stops along the way. Punta Gorda is the last stop in southern Belize. Getting here is part of the adventure! As you land, one of our Copal Tree Lodge Guides will be waiting to pick you up in our open-air Land Cruiser. In only 20 minutes, you’ll be pulling up to the Main Lodge!
Travel Documents Needed
DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSPORT. A valid passport is required to enter Belize. It’s recommended that you carry a change of clothing and your necessary personal items such as medications in your carry-on bag. Although there has not had a substantial problem with lost luggage, this can help prevent some major headaches. Keep the bottom portion of your Immigration Form, which you will fill out on your arriving flight. It will be used when you depart Belize.
All U.S. citizens are required to have a valid passport that does not expire within six (6) months of trips dates. Please be sure that your passport has at least two blank, unstamped pages remaining in the back, and that it is not torn, de-laminated, or damaged in any way.
Travel Arrangements & Insurance
Front Range Anglers will provide information regarding airline tickets, hotels, transfers, and all travel logistics. Contact us at 877.935.2975 or 303.494.1375or [email protected] for more details on airfare ticketing, travel services, and trip insurance.
FRA recommends all anglers to have Medical Evacuation Insurance- we recommend Global Rescue, and we HIGHLY recommend Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
At the time of booking 50% of the trip is due and payable. At 90 days the remainder plus all VAT and taxes are due. Cancellation greater than 90 days from the date of trip, all monies refunded less $100 fee if a replacement angler is found. if within 90 Days, no refunds are provided unless a qualified replacement angler is provided. No refunds are provided for trip cancellation due to Weather, Acts of God, Airline/Travel issues. Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance is strongly advised & recommended.