Special BOOKING Offer
Fall 2021: November 12 – 19
Spring 2022: March 18-25
Fall 2022 & Spring 2023 Dates Coming Soon!!
About Lost Key Lodge
Phicol Wallace has lived on Ragged Island his entire life and his family has lived on the Islands since the 1700’s. He is a seasoned blue water captain and is excited to have the opportunity to take you on incredible excursions. He is also the master of logistics and able to handle any and all situations that might arise in such a remote location.
The other partner, Will Blair has spent the past 22 years operating on the Kamchatka Peninsula of Eastern Russia, the most remote wilderness fly fishing programs on planet earth. He brings the fly fishing enthusiasm to a place virtually untouched by humans and in our own backyard. Will is sure he has found a reliable and wonderful Bahamian partner in Phicol Wallace.
We are excited to show you the best fly fishing the Bahamas has to offer.
The croissant- shaped Jumento chain compromises islets, cays and rocks stretching over 110 miles. They include Great and Little Ragged Islands, Raccoon Cay, Hog Cay, Knife Cay, Nurse Cay, Flamingo Cay and Double –Breasted Cay.
60 miles north of Cuba Lost Key Lodge is on the edge of the Bahamas in an undamaged Caribbean ecosystem. The waters teem with a wide variety of flats, reef, and pelagic fish. Here natures balance remains undisturbed in the wake of mans progression.
The beaches are polished silver, trackless and spangled with rare, delicate shells. Rainbow-hued fish that aren’t afraid of you will nose in to your feet as you wade and beach comb. Unless you see your angling partners you won’t see another soul. Even conch fishermen who come in from Spanish Wells, Bahamas, to collect conch, are rare. You are alone amid the vast tropical sapphires of sky and sea. The Jumentos are as healthy as any wilderness can be today.
With all the places in the Bahamas why choose Lost Key Lodge? The Jumentos Cays are a place lost in time. There are no other sport fishing operations and zero angler pressure. We are focused on showing you a truly once in a lifetime experience.
I spent almost a month on the Island this past year and the question I asked “Where are other fisherman?” always had the same answer. “Yah Man no one fishes here!”
Bahamas Reopening Plan
Prior to Departing for The Bahamas
*Please note: testing requirements have changed for vaccinated travelers**
STEP 1: Testing Requirements
- Effective August 6, 2021, those travelling to The Bahamas from other countries who have been fully vaccinated will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), taken no more than five (5) days prior to the date of arrival to The Bahamas. The name and address of the lab where the test was performed must be clearly displayed on the test result.
- Effective August 6, 2021, all fully vaccinated travellers wishing to travel inter-island within The Bahamas, including Bahamian citizens and residents, will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), taken no more than five (5) days prior to the date of travel from the following islands: Nassau & Paradise Island, Grand Bahama, Bimini, Exuma, Abaco, and North and South Eleuthera, including Harbour Island.
- Unvaccinated travellers ages 12 and older entering The Bahamas and/or those travelling inter-island from Nassau & Paradise Island, Grand Bahama Island, Bimini, Exuma, Abaco, and North and South Eleuthera, including Harbour Island, must obtain a negative COVID-19 PCR (swab) test taken no more than 5 days prior to the date of arrival. Test must return a negative result for entry into The Bahamas.
- As of August 6, 2021, all children, between the ages of 2 and 11, wishing to enter The Bahamas will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), taken no more than five (5) days prior to the date of arrival to The Bahamas.
- All children under the age of 2 are exempt from any testing requirements
- Negative PCR test results must be uploaded in order to complete a Bahamas Travel Health Visa application, and must be presented upon arrival in The Bahamas.
- Any person presenting test results older than 5 days will not be allowed entry into The Bahamas.
STEP 2: Bahamas Travel Health Visa Application
All persons travelling to The Bahamas, and those travelling inter-island, are required to apply for a Bahamas Travel Health Visa at travel.gov.bs.
- Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to upload negative test results (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), in addition to valid proof of vaccination (such as CDC or government issued vaccine record card).
- For international travellers, proof of vaccination must confirm they have passed the two-week immunity period.
- At this time The Bahamas Government will only be accepting vaccines by Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca
- Unvaccinated travellers will be required to upload their negative COVID-19 PCR test results. Tests must be taken no more than 5 days prior to the date of arrival.
- Children between the ages of 2 and 11 will be required to upload their negative Rapid Antigen Test or PCR test results.
*Unvaccinated Bahamian citizens or residents planning to travel abroad for five (5) days or less must secure a test in the destination they visited before travelling back to The Bahamas. Any PCR test taken in The Bahamas prior to travel will not be valid for re-entry.
ALL TRAVELLERS: VACCINATED AND UNVACCINATED
- As part of the Bahamas Travel Health Visa application, travellers will be required to opt-in to COVID-19 health insurance that covers them for the duration of their stay in The Bahamas. The cost of insurance is included in the Bahamas Travel Health Visa application fee.
- Bahamas Travel Health Visa applications take up to 48 hours to process and should be completed with adequate lead time.
- The cost of the Bahamas Travel Health Visa is dependent on length of stay and vaccination status.
- All travellers eighteen (18) years of age and older are required to complete an individual Bahamas Travel Health Visa.
- Persons seventeen (17) years and younger are to add a profile within the account of their parent or guardian.
Think of Lost Key Lodge as access to your own private pristine Caribbean islands. Accommodating 4 anglers maximum Lost Key Lodge is like no other saltwater experience for the adventure angler. After breakfast and a beautiful boat ride we will reach the flats and start fishing. Like all great flats programs we will work through the tide at the optimum times and locations. In between tides can be an exciting experience whether it is monstrous barracudas or tricky triggerfish.
We gear everything towards your desires and you having a great and safe time. The fact is you will have untold miles of Cays to explore with your guides. Every moment of your vacation if precious and we will treat it that way.
While we are a sportfishing lodge first and foremost there are other things of great interest around these pristine Islands. The sheer number of fish will astound even the most seasoned explorer. Snorkeling can be almost overwhelming when one sees the volume and diversity of fish and live coral reefs. We do offer the opportunity for spearfishing if anglers so desire.
THIS IS THE EDGE OF THE WILDERNESS.
We understand remote destinations and seek them out. Lost Key Lodge is such a place. When one reaches the edge of human influence this is where the largest populations of mature gamefish still exist.
Phicol owns a beautiful 39-foot Hatteras Convertible blue water boat with twin diesel Caterpillar engines. It is rigged and ready to go with the best equipment. Unlike most locations in the Bahamas the cuts and drops for these monster fish are close to the island and long runs are not necessary.
An 18 ft Beavertail Skiff with a 70 Hp Yamaha for poling in the back mangrove bays surrounding the island. It is also a perfect boat for hunting the flats for the huge permit that inhabit the area.
A 17 ft Classic Skiff with a 70 Suzuki is fast and light perfect for flats fishing all along the Jumento Cays.
25 ft Center console This boat is great for dropping off anglers on the supremely wadeable flats as well as taking anglers to the untouched locations surrounding all the islands as far north as Nurse Channel. Comfortable, clean and fast it is a perfect boat for reef fishing and close bluewater.
A 15 ft Custom Dolphin Skiff Mangrove canoe. Perfect for exploring the large shallow mangrove just behind the lodge.
Thanks to its forgotten location, the bonefish around Lost Key Lodge are by all accounts the least-pressured in the Bahamas. Throw in Permit and plenty of prehistoric and super aggressive Cudas, and you have a near-perfect flats fishery. A plethora of expansive white-sand flats means all the fishing is done by wading or poling from a flats skiff.
There are miles of easily-waded white sand flats as well as hidden, unspoiled mangrove creeks. Inland lakes fill up with eager schools of bonefish on the change of every tide.
Remote, rarely visited cays are home to schools of bonefish numbering in the thousands. The diversity and size of the fishery means a completely different fishing experience every day of your trip.
Primarily targeted with 9 or 10 weight rods and tropical floating or intermediate sink tip lines. Wire leaders are a must, as barracuda are very toothy critters.
Poppers, Bangers, needlefish flies and large Deceivers are all very effective in antagonizing these aggressive fish into striking.
While we don’t have big numbers of permit, a day spent looking for them under the right conditions is likely to result in shots.
There are specific locations – particularly the near shore cays on the Southwest side and some of the ocean flats – holding good populations. And, there are specific periods in the spring season where their inshore numbers increase significantly.
Permit here are generally in the 15 to 30 lb. range and are best targeted using a 10-weight fly rod with a tropical floating line.
The tarpon fishery has not yet been patterned to deliver highly consistent fishing. We’ll keep you posted as this fishery further develops.
If blue water is your game we can accommodate that as well. Off the eastern shore we have large schools of pelagic fish.
There are no creatures more perfectly suited to their environment than the ocean’s top gamefish: the white or blue marlin, tuna, wahoo, dolphin (mahi-mahi) or sailfish. For an angler, there’s no greater challenge than pitting yourself against one of these fish that can provide the adventure of a lifetime. The fight against a big blue marlin, tuna or wahoo can last for hours – and will be an experience you will never forget. Yet no one who’s ever done it would trade away a moment of the experience because there’s nothing more rewarding for a sportsman. While billfish are released to fight again, a wahoo, tuna or mahi-mahi will provide a great feast for the dinner table.
The reef fishing is second to none with large snappers available along with groupers and a myriad of other sport species in natural abundance. From incredible Mutton Snapper bites to grouper and yellowtail the reefs surrounding Lost Key Lodge are unspoiled and a wonder of natural abundance.
Phicol Wallace built Lost Key Lodge in collaboration with a marketing firm in the US way back in 2009. After one season this American partnership dissolved and Phicol busy with four children and running Bahama Power and Light for Ragged Island decided to wait until his kids were older and he could find a reliable American Partner. This took almost ten years. Once Phicol and Will struck up their partnership in the fall of 2018 Phicol set about remodeling and updating the virtually new lodge. He is a skilled craftsman with the drive to make everything as perfect as humanly possible.
Lost Key Lodge was originally designed and built with the advice of American anglers.
5 rooms allows us to offer single room occupancy to our anglers!
Lost Key Lodge is comfy and clean. All rooms are air conditioned, with tile floors and private baths with showers. In the lounge area you’ll find a bar (tabs are settled at the end of your trip), a 52 flat-screen satellite TV and a fly-tying bench. Built in 2009 and rebuilt since Irma in September of 2017 it has all the amenities any angler might need for a comfortable stay. The lodge was built on a hill to take advantage of cooling breezes and to provide a scenic ocean side view. The boats are about a 2-minute walk.
Breakfast will vary depending on the tides and the plan. With only 4 anglers we have a lot of leeway with ensuring we are not only fitting our schedule but the best schedule for the tides and the fishing.
Breakfast from 6-9 Am : Coffee will be available at 6 am
Lunch will be on the water or at the lodge depending on weather and schedule. Most days lunch is on the water and is a hearty but light fare.
Dinner will also vary depending on the fishing schedule. Usually between 7-9 pm
The logistics of getting to the lodge are easy. There are many direct flights into Georgetown Exuma, Bahamas. American Airlines is very convenient out of Atlanta.
Once in Exuma we have a couple of choices for travel to Duncan Town. This arrangement will be finalized in early spring 2021.
Final cost will be coming shortly but our best estimate for the charter is around $850 per person round trip.
The island is not set up for non-anglers; there are two bars and a small grocery. That’s it. The total population is 32 souls.
We are really excited about Lost Key Lodge and think it offers adventuresome anglers superb fishing opportunities. Lost Key Lodge is perfect for those who love wild and untamed locations.
Terms & Conditions
Hosted Trip: October 15 – 22, 2021 SOLD OUT
The cost for 7 nights 6 days of fishing is $4,395.00 per angler plus $850 per person for the round trip charter.
Blue Water charters for monsters are available at an additional cost of $400.00 per day per person. The lodge has a full complement of blue water rods and reels (spin and stand-up). The use of all of this tackle is included in the price of the trip.
Included: single occupancy accommodations, meals and daily-guided fishing. Not included: Airfare to Ragged Island, a fishing license, liquor and items of a personal nature.
At the time of booking 50% of the trip is due and payable. At 90 days the remainder plus all VAT and taxes are due. Cancellation greater than 90 days from the date of trip, all monies refunded less $100 fee if a replacement angler is found. Cancellation within 90 Days, no refunds are provided unless a qualified replacement angler is provided. No refunds are provided for trip cancellation due to Weather, Acts of God, Airline/Travel issues.
Trip Insurance is strongly advised & recommended!